Sunday 1 February 2015

Why Bella Figura?

A simple two-word Italian phrase with a lengthy explanation. To translate to English literally means "beautiful figure" but to Italians it is so much more than that; it means how one presents themselves to others, which encompasses all forms of style, not only in manner of dress, but speech, posture, and gestures both physical and emotional.  I came across this phrase while reading about Italian culture. My husband is Italian and in an effort to more thoroughly understand his family, I stumbled upon this phrase. Two simple words that sum up what I feel is the essence of personal style, because style is so much more than what you decided what to wear today. In addition to how you dress, style is how you speak, how you walk, the manners you use, the effort you put into little things like grooming and posture, as well as more obvious things like the impression your home gives to your guests, or how you leave a person feeling after having been in their company.  Style is in everything you do and say, and wether you eschew fashion and style as it can be superficially perceived or not, it what makes you YOU.  So, why not make your own person style, your 'bella figura", the best it can be? There have been countless moments in my life where I cringe because, as I've thought back, I've realized I could have softened a comment or used a serving knife, and, Lord knows, how many opportunities I've had to not swear.  I could have taken the time to visit more.  I should have sent that handwritten thank you note instead of texting. There will always be these little things here and there that could have been improved, but the act of noticing is the first step to improvement. 

Bella Figura is your best possible self, and it takes effort to care about how you present yourself to the world, and one should care that they present themselves honestly and truly, without contrite, without falsity, and without being artificial.  


So, I decided to start this blog. I tend to talk a lot, which means I have a lot to say, so even if what I have to say interests one single reader, then that will make me happy. I like to write, I like to read, I love to look at pictures of beautiful things, I appreciate hand stitched garments and super-fine silk. My embroidery and beading make me happy.  I'm dreaming of herringbone floors. I think a handwritten note is a bygone gesture needing resurrection.  I think a gentle "Thank You' is worth it's weight in gold. I should try harder to emulate a woman who can sit herself down without flopping.  I appreciate style in many forms and hope to present what I consider to be all the elements of style here, and explain how anyone can achieve their own personal style; their own Bella Figura.

No comments:

Post a Comment